After your assessments
Assessment results are checked very carefully before they are released.
However, if you are concerned that an administrative error may have been made in the transcription of your result, you may request an administrative recheck.
An administrative recheck is not a re-mark and the content of your answer script will not be looked at again by the examiners. Please note that you cannot appeal on academic grounds.
Online timed assessments are subject to the same administrative recheck processes as physical examination scripts, with equivalent checks being conducted within the online marking system.
What is an adminstrative recheck?
The administrative recheck process involves checks to ensure:
- that your script was marked by at least two Examiners, or subject to sampling and moderation, in line with the marking practices for your programme
- that this has resulted in an agreed mark, confirmed by the Board of Examiners
- that the marks recorded on or against your script by the Examiners have been tallied correctly and that the agreed mark has been accurately transferred to University systems
Please note: the term ‘script’ refers either to your physical answer booklet in a written examination, or your submitted file(s) in an online timed assessment. Administrative rechecks are not available for coursework marks.
The final mark released online and shown on your Notification of Results is the agreed mark as confirmed by the Board of Examiners.
You will receive a written response indicating whether an administrative error has been identified, normally within 20 working days.
The administrative recheck process is conducted by the Student Affairs office who are not involved in the marking of scripts, the conduct of the Board of Examiners or the administrative processes that lead to your results being recorded. This ensures an independent recheck of your results.
Before you request an administrative recheck
Before deciding whether you want your assessment result to be rechecked, please consider the following:
- This is NOT a re-mark
- The content of your script will NOT be looked at again by the examiners
- Appeals on academic grounds will NOT be accepted by the University
- In 2019, 1126 administrative rechecks were completed. 99.1% of those cases had no error detected. Only 0.4% (5 cases) of all rechecks resulted in a change to the mark awarded. Please be aware that the likelihood of an administrative error being identified is extremely low.
- For online timed assessments, most marking processes are also conducted online through the VLE, or by other electronic means. As the totalling of marks is largely automated under these systems, the potential for error is further reduced when compared to written examinations marked by hand.
As it can take some time before you receive the outcome, we advise you to make progression decisions (for example, by entering for re-sits if applicable) based on the results released online and contained in your Notification of Results.
In the unlikely event that an error is detected, you will be refunded the administrative recheck fee. If the error reverses a fail and results in a pass mark, you will be provided with an updated Notification of Results and also refunded any associated entry or registration fees that are no longer applicable.
The administrative rechecks process is available for 6 weeks from the date your results are released. Requests will not normally be accepted after this deadline.
How to request an administrative recheck
You can request an administrative recheck by visiting the ‘Results’ page on the portal, clicking the 'Assessment Results' button and choosing 'Apply for recheck'.
The fee is £60 for the first paper that you wish to have rechecked and £20 for any further papers. For example, a single paper would cost £60, two papers £80, three papers £100 and four papers £120.
All payments will be made in pound sterling.
Payments can only be made by debit or credit card.
We are unable accept American Express.
You will receive an email confirmation of your request from the ResultsCheck@london.ac.uk email address.
General information about your results
Your online results and the Notification of Results document will provide your mark for each module or course you have taken and an overall result for the session, whenever this is required.
Candidates should be aware of the following information:
- Marks are routinely checked and rechecked before results are sent out to candidates.
- Every script is either marked by at least two Examiners, or subject to sampling and moderation processes, resulting in an agreed mark.
- Results are confirmed at a Board of Examiners meeting. Attendance includes External Examiners who are subject experts appointed from outside the University of London and who have a specific responsibility to ensure consistency in the standard of the award.
- There is no provision in the Regulations for the consideration of an appeal on academic grounds; the decision of the Board of Examiners is final.